Frequently Asked Questions

  • Do I need to make an appointment to see my counselor? We encourage students to make an appointment with their counselor but it is not necessary. Counselors will meet with students, on a drop-in basis, before school, during lunch, or after school depending on their schedules.

    My counselor isn't here today. Can I see another counselor? As counselors, we build relationships with our students but we understand there may be times that we are not available. If you have an emergency, any available counselor would be happy to meet with you. If it is not an emergency and can wait, we can schedule an appointment with your counselor or you may always feel free to email your counselor. 

    Can I change teachers? Students who wish to change teachers must see their Vice Principal for more information. 

    What do I do if I fail a class?  Talk with your counselor if you have failed a class to see how you can make-up the course.

    My parent(s) would like to meet with you. Do they need to make an appointment? Parents who would like to meet with their student’s counselor need to make an appointment. Ms. Roberts, our secretary, will help families schedule appointments. Please call (925) 606-4800 x3560 to make an appointment with a counselor.

    What if I need extra help in my classes? If you need a tutor, ASE is a time for students to get extra help in any of their classes. ASE is held Wednesdays at 8:00. You don’t have to be assigned to ASE to attend. If you need extra help in Math, the Granada Mathematics Department offers Office Hours before school, during lunch, and after school. Contact your math teacher or come into the Counseling Office to get the current Office Hours schedule. If you would like free math tutoring from college faculty and students, consider signing up for the Las Positas Free Tutoring Program. This program offers help for all levels of mathematics including calculus and SAT/ACT preparation. It is held on the Las Positas Campus 3 days per week. For more information, please stop by the Counseling and Career Center for more information and an application.

    How do I sign up for the SATs and/or ACTs? When should I take them? Do I need to take them if I know I'm attending a community college first? Please click here for updated information as of August 2021. Students who plan to attend a 4-year college/university must take either the SAT or the ACT. If a student plans to attend a community college first, the exams are not required. Most students take the SAT and/or ACT during the spring of their junior year and possibly the fall of their senior year. Typically, most students end up taking these exams twice in hopes to improve their score after the first time. Sometimes students try as early as their sophomore year, but we feel it is best for students to have as much English and Math under their belt before taking the exam for the first time. It is helpful to also take the PSAT (typically given in October) as a practice prior to signing up for the official SAT. To sign up, please go to their respective web sites at College Board (SAT) and ACT. Dates vary between the two tests, so please plan accordingly. You may pick up free practice materials in the Counseling and Career Center.

    I really need someone to talk to. Can I talk to my counselor about non-academic stuff? Yes, your counselor is available to talk about non-academic issues which can include social-emotional concerns (e.g. difficulty at home, parents divorcing, issues with friends, feeling overwhelmed, loss of a family member, etc.).

    How can I get a work permit? The State of California requires that employers have a current work permit on file for employees under the age of 18. Request for work permit forms may be picked up in the Counseling and Career Center or downloaded by clicking here. Students must fill out the entire form and bring it back to Ms. Roberts in the Counseling and Career Center. Your official work permit will be ready 24 hours after you turn it in. Please do NOT wait until the last minute to submit your request. We cannot guarantee that it will be ready in less than 24 hours.

    Where can I find out about scholarship opportunities? Scholarship opportunities are all around you. Make sure to talk to the people around you (family and friends) about scholarships that they might know about through their jobs, community organizations, etc. Scholarships are listed on the College and Career Center website under "Scholarships & Financial Aid". Students can also fill out a scholarship application form to Mrs. Watson to be notified about new scholarships. Don’t wait until the last minute to start applying for scholarships. Seniors should start applying for scholarships in September of their senior year!

    What can I do to find job, internship and/or community service opportunities? Students can find out about these opportunities by visiting the College and Career Center website.

    How do I sign-up for Concurrent Enrollment to take a class at Las Positas College? Students who are interested in taking a class at Las Positas College must follow all the steps and fill out the required paperwork that can be found on the Las Positas College website:

    How do I stay informed about what is going on in the Counseling and Career Center? The Counseling and Career Center website is updated on a weekly basis. Students and parents should check the website often for information about: upcoming events at GHS and in the community, job, volunteer and internship opportunities, college visits, scholarship and financial aid, PSAT, SAT, ACT and AP testing and more. Students should stop by the Counseling and Career Center often for college, career, military and testing resources.